When most people think of a Lowe’s Home Improvement store, they think of a big box shopping center with huge parking lots and huge selections. In a couple weeks the company is about to shatter that stereotype with it’s first location in the heart of the Big Apple.
They are now preparing to open its first store in Manhattan on the Upper West Side, specifically, on the corner of Broadway and West 68th Street. Lowe’s is calling it a “test store,” for many smaller format stores in major cities across the nation.
The North Carolina retailer, based just outside of Charlotte, currently has over 1,800 stores across America. All their stores currently have an average footprint of about 100,000 square feet – their new Big Apple location will be about a quarter of that. The new format will also offer different products and services aimed at urban residents, including:
- A garage department that focuses on sporting goods such as bike racks rather than lawn mowers;
- Appliances built for smaller kitchens like an 18-inch dishwasher and a 24-inch, two-drawer fridge;
- A storage department offering removable closet organizers;
- Interior designers who make house calls.
- Shoppers can get same-day delivery for $21 and next-day delivery for bigger items.